One of the main novelties of Elden Ring , compared to previous FromSoftware games, is the addition of a faithful mount to assist you in exploring the vast territories of the Underworld. But as you will quickly realize, you are only a vulgar trooper condemned to walk, at the beginning of the game. In order to remedy this as quickly as possible, here is how to quickly obtain your faithful steed.
Get the horse
Exiting the starting area, dash towards the Grace Point, then follow the light towards the Ruined Church and its second Grace Point. Continue to follow the light of grace, heading northeast along the road, you will come across some soldiers. Avoid the ruins on the right and go directly to rest at the grace in front of the large doors. This will bring up Melina , the person in charge of levels. Accept her offer, as a bonus, she will give you the Spectral Horse Whistle.
To use the horse, you have to open the menu, then select the equipment tab. Select an empty space in the hotbar, then assign Spectral Horse Whistle to that slot . The principle is the same as for vials and consumables, unfortunately there is no dedicated shortcut to summon the horse at the moment, and that's a shame.
Some tips in using the horse
- The horse can take fairly large falls without taking damage, but there is a limit. You can die from falling from too high.
- You can perform a double jump with the horse, it helps to scale the scenery. Oddly, it doesn't cushion long drops, even when using it with the right timing.
- The spirit fountains allow you to perform super jumps with your horse by jumping into them, you still control your trajectory in the air. There is no fall damage after jumping like this, just avoid landing in water, it will kill you.
- Some fights are thought to be done on horseback, like the giant trolls and the dragon (in part).
- Not all weapons are equal on horseback, you can only wield them one-handed plus. Edged weapons seemed to us to be easier to use than spears. Spells shine especially on horseback.
- Your horse has its own health bar, you can heal it with consumables created through crafting. If your horse dies, either rest at a grace point or use a charge of Vial of Crimson Tears.